The Drusus Bridge
One of the oldest stone bridges in Germany – with a chapel in it.
Bridges have a long tradition at the mouth of the Nahe river. The first bridge was built in the decade before Christ was born: at that time, Drusus fortified the left bank of the Rhine to mark the borders of the Roman Empire by constructing defensive works, and built a wooden bridge over the Nahe. After it was destroyed in 70 CE, the first stone bridge was built, which fell victim to the Normans in 891. It was not until a good hundred years later that Archbishop Willigis built a new stone bridge over the Nahe. In the eastern pillar of this bridge, a small early Roman chapel made of stone from the banks of the Nahe was carved out in order to have the bridge protected by the Church. In 1689, the French destroyed it and in 1772, it was rebuilt again. In March 1945, elite troops blew up the bridge before the approaching Allies could reach it. Today, the Drusus Bridge dominates the townscape of Bingen again. Visit the bridge chapel: You can borrow the key to the chapel at Tourist Information.